Windows Azure SQL Database, formerly SQL Azure, is a fully managed relational database service that delivers flexible manageability, includes built-in high availability, offers predictable performance, and supports massive scale-out.
Offered in different service tiers to meet basic and high-end needs, SQL Database enables organizations to rapidly build, extend, and scale relational applications in the cloud with familiar tools.
Drive innovative cloud-based data management scenarios
- Business apps: Scale business apps for burst and global reach by removing the high costs of building an infrastructure which would accommodate occasional peak loads.
- Web & mobile apps: Remove the security risks and hassles associated with hosting public-facing apps & websites from within a datacenter.
- Hybrid apps: Customers with existing on-premises investments can get the best of both worlds by keeping current investments on-premises, including policy-constrained data, while extending parts of their application to the cloud for added innovation, scale, global reach and agility.
Visit the Data Management solutions page to discover more data management scenarios and customer success stories.
Unlock a new class of business-critical apps
Incorporating proven SQL Server technology, SQL Database delivers the capabilities required to support today’s emerging class of cloud applications.
- Flexible & built-in manageability: Increase productivity by using your choice of SQL Server Management Studio, the Azure Management Portal with HTML5 support, PowerShell, or REST APIs to easily create and manage databases. Additionally, SQL Database service removes the need for patching and OS updates and maintenance. Learn how Samsung stays competitive with their global SmartTV business.
- Built-in high availability: Two datacenter replicas built-in for every SQL database regardless of edition plus a 99.9% SLA. Learn how BetOnSoft leverages data protection for their business-critical monitoring app.
- Predictable performance: Gain powerful and predictable performance for performance-intensive apps through reserved resources offered with Premium edition. Learn how MYOB enables mission-critical performance.
- Scale-out: Support peak workloads with quick scale-out to thousands of distributed databases. Learn how Flavorous unlocked new business with massive scale.
Integrate the right SQL Database service tier for your app
As customers continue to push the boundaries of modern app innovation, there are distinct classes of cloud applications emerging. Based on these patterns, SQL Database offers two tiers of service.
- Web and Business editions: Offers a cost-effective, scalable, and managed database service that includes built-in HA for customers looking to remove much of the database management overhead. Web edition scales to 10 MB while Business edition scales to 150 GB.
- Premium edition (PREVIEW): In addition to the value offered Web and Business editions, Premium delivers more powerful and predictable performance. Premium helps support resource-intensive database needs like sustained demands, many concurrent requests, and predictable latency.
To try SQL Database Web and Business editions or the Premium preview, you will need an account. Begin your sign up here. Request access to the SQL Database Premium preview here.
View pricing details. Browse the documentation center for resources. Explore flexible purchase options.